Re: Help: removing ximian from testing

Hi Tim,

Tim Wood wrote:

> I used the Ximian installer to download the debs and start the
> installation but had to finish the installation by hand.

FWIW you can use apt-get to install Ximian stuff but there packages are
always broken so you're better off using the Debian packages.

All the debs
> are in the same directory /etc/cache/redcarpet.
>
> If someone has experience with removing ximian I would be
> gratefull for some suggestions on how to go about it.

Yup, I've done it and I've got to say that it is a pain.  What you want
to do first is find out what packages on your machine are from Ximian:
	#dpkg -l| grep ximian

Then find out what Debian package the ximian one replaces:

	#apt-cache show <evil ximian package>

Then get the pure Debian package via ftp or something (apt won't work
because the ximian package replaces the Debian one).

And finally install the Debian package:

	#dpkg -i <pure Debian package>

HTH,
Andy