Re: dselect, can't do update

Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> If you try to edit /var/cache/apt/available and rerun `update' your
> fixes get over written when the available file is built.
>
> If you edit the files in /var/lib/apt/lists to fix the problem (in the
> entries for the blt and blt-demo packages), apt notices that you don't
> have the same as what is in the remote archive and fetches the files
> again -- first downloading them into /var/lib/apt/lists/partial.

Actually, I fixed the problem yesterday for myself by editing

 /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages

and apt did not download a new one on the next dselect update. I think
maybe it compares timestamps and does not download a new packages file
if the local one is newer.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! The FALAFEL SANDWICH lands
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | on my HEAD and I become a