Re: information request

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:04:39AM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > carmex83078 wrote:
> >
> >     I recently downloaded linux-2.4.4.tar.gz and I can't read most of
> > the files because I am running Windows Millenium Edition.  I was
> > hoping you could help me with installing it since I don't know how
> > to.  I read through some documentation and the situations it described
> > required me to already have a previous linux version.  Would it be
> > best for me to order it on cd, or would I have the same problem?  Any
> > information provided will be greatly appreciated.
>
> linux-2.4.4.tar.gz is only the Linux kernel, but in order to have a
> fully functional operating system you need lot's of other software.
> This is usually assembled into a distribution, of which there are quite
> a few to choose from.  The distributions used most widely are [1]
> RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, and not to forget Debian.  Now, this being a
> Debian list, I would recommend Debian, but IHMO, you only learn to
> appreciate the magic Debian is doing, when you've had to work with
> another distribution first.

I don't know about that.  I started with debian.  Tried other distros
and came back to debian.

>Also, it is said that other distributions
> are easier for beginners.

It is said and repeated like a mantra.  Debian's install keeps getting
easier and people keep repeating that exact same thing.  It's not *that*
hard to install.  There is also Progeny.  It has an even easier install
than debian and for all practical purposes is debian.  Why no
recommendation for that distro?  People always assume that a newbie wants
the easiest route to linux.  I don't know why people assume that.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted