information request

Dear Debian.org,

    I recently downloaded linux-2.4.4.tar.gz and I can't read most of the files because I am running Windows Millenium Edition.  I was hoping you could help me with installing it since I don't know how to.  I read through some documentation and the situations it described required me to already have a previous linux version.  Would it be best for me to order it on cd, or would I have the same problem?  Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mark Cismowski