Re: information request

Hi,

> carmex83078 wrote:
>
>     I recently downloaded linux-2.4.4.tar.gz and I can't read most of
> the files because I am running Windows Millenium Edition.  I was
> hoping you could help me with installing it since I don't know how
> to.  I read through some documentation and the situations it described
> required me to already have a previous linux version.  Would it be
> best for me to order it on cd, or would I have the same problem?  Any
> information provided will be greatly appreciated.

linux-2.4.4.tar.gz is only the Linux kernel, but in order to have a
fully functional operating system you need lot's of other software.
This is usually assembled into a distribution, of which there are quite
a few to choose from.  The distributions used most widely are [1]
RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, and not to forget Debian.  Now, this being a
Debian list, I would recommend Debian, but IHMO, you only learn to
appreciate the magic Debian is doing, when you've had to work with
another distribution first.  Also, it is said that other distributions
are easier for beginners.

So, get a nice distribution on CD and good luck with your venture in
Linuxland.

Cheers,
Viktor

[1] To all the others on the list: Please don't flame me for not
mentioning your favorite Linux distro, as this list is, of course,
completely arbitrary and doesn't claim to be complete.  After all, we
all agree, that there is only one True Linux Distribution, do we not?
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/