Trying for X 4.0 on potato - again

Wow, seems like I'm alone in the problems I'm having with this- hopefully someone might recognize an answer to one of these..

To rehash the problem, I'm running potato, and want to update X from  3.3 to 4.0.:
1. Why would a deb be unrecognized as valid prior to a "apt-get dist-upgrade", but be valid after?
2. Which unstable sources would I need to unremark to get the testing debs for X 4 ?
2a. Are those testing debs the same as the ones Brendan has made available?
3. What conditions would cause the server to prompt "Waiting for X server to begin accepting connections" ?

Thanks again..

Marc.