Re: I need info please

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 06:36:57PM -0400, AlexHiggs@aol.com wrote:
>     Hi.  I am very excited about beign able to use a linux OS.  I looked on
> the debian site, but all the places where I could get information and
> downloads were either too technical to understand, or blended too well with
> my screen. I don't evcen know exactly what kind of computer I have.  All I
> know is that I have a Compaq Presario 4546 desktop.  Could you tell me in
> plain english how to download it, and if my windows programs are compatible?
> I need all the facts about the debian Linux.   If you would do that for me,
> that would be great.   Thanks.

One of the things your going to have to get used to, if you want to run
Linux, is reading the documentation.  No getting around it.  I suggest
you go back to the debian site and reread the installation instructions.
The parts you don't understand email the list and ask.  That is what the
list is for.  Just do your homework first.

Learning Linux is not an easy thing.  It takes time (years) and lots
of patients.  It's not for everyone.  My first steps towards installing
Debian were learning what a hard drive was, learning what an OS was,
real basic stuff.  About 6 months later I installed debian (hamm) about
two months after that I had a graphical interface and 6 or so months
later... I was starting to feel comfortable using Linux as my main OS.

Don't let me scare you, the install is easier now and you are probably
brighter and younger than I am, so you will probably move along
quicker than I have:)

Windows programs are not compatible in the sense that you can run setup
and install Word off an Office-2000 cd.  There are ways of running
windows within Linux virtually with vmware and win4lin.  There is also
the wine package which allows you to run some windows programs with Linux
but I wouldn't worry about that too much at the moment.  I would first
install Linux and play with it for a while.

What I would do is dual boot Windows and Linux.  You can run them side
by side on the same disk.  If you have the money you might want to
buy another drive and run Windows on one and Linux on the other.  Either
way you can dual boot between the two with a boot loader such as lilo or
grub.  Remember you can totally loose your windows side if you screw up on
the install.  Back up your data.  Hope this has been of some help.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted