Re: Trying for X 4.0 on potato - again

MRZ wrote:

> Wow, seems like I'm alone in the problems I'm having with this- hopefully someone might recognize an answer to one of these..
>
> To rehash the problem, I'm running potato, and want to update X from  3.3 to 4.0.:

deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/all/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/i386/

you can avoid upgrading to woody to get xfree4 by putting those lines in your
sources.list. someone posted them last week. i tried it over the weekend on
a ibm thinkpad t20 which has an s3 savage IX (or something) chipset and it
worked
pretty good. i had to install a library or something seperate(its on the same
site though) to get most of the X tools working.

i plan to experiment again with that version of X soon. i have a testing
machine
next to me running X4 on a geforce II MX200. im gonna wipe it out and put
potato
back on it from scratch and see how it works before trying it in my main
machine.

now the above may not help you if your already partially/fully upgraded to
woody/testing.

nate

--
:::