Re: [users] Re: motherboard info

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:56:06PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Dimitri Maziuk (on Wed, 16 May 2001 06:56:47PM -0500):
> > In that case I don't see any other option but to go and _carefully_
> > open the fscker. With a flashlight and good eyesight you will find
> > whatever info the manufacturer printed on the board. Hopefully there
> > will be enough to google on (don't hold your breath, though).
>
> weeeeeh. i can't but look forward to that then...

I've seen a few mobos with something meaningful, like A3T1
stamped on them...

> > Generally speaking you're SOL. You have a mission-critical server that
> > 1) has no documentation, 2) uses obsolete hardware, 3) has to be up 24/7,
> > and on top of all that you have no backup machine and no money to buy one.
>
> well, (1) is definitely true since that machine was resurrected out of
> parts and wasn't supposed to become a server. but now it's our main
> cvs repository and mail server. yes, i know it's fscked, but it works.
> (2) well, obsolete whatever. point: it works. i don't really care
> about the 1.7 load nor do my users, but i got this spare baby lying
> around and i figure i might just as well. (3) it's not really mission
> critical. we aren't important people at all. so as i said: if on
> saturday it screws up or someone walks in with a case of beer, the
> system will be down until monday and noone will really care - *but* i
> am not shooting for that.

You missed the point. Old hardware is more likely to die if you touch
it (if only because electrical components are more likely to die when
you turn on the power then when they're working).  There's a chance
that swerver won't come up at all after upgrade. Not "until Monday",
it will be down forever.

In your place I wouldn't be spending time on upgrade, I'd be building a
backup/replacement box. Can you get your lusers to donate $10 each? --
that should be enough.
YMMV, of course.

Dima
--