Re: [users] Re: motherboard info

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 07:40:21PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
 also sprach ktb (on Wed, 16 May 2001 06:23:07PM -0500):
 > give the executable an enviornment to work.  Finding the board number
 > would take the time of two boots and a minute or less more.  From there
 > finding the jumpers could take 10 minutes to never.

 yeah well, you have a point. but then, if i could find out the board
 model and get the jumpers from the web, it's quite possible to get the
 system back up. and if i don't, then it's saturday night and i'd hope
 my users have better shit to do anyway :>

> If all of this is that mission critical buy a new board for $100.00 have the
 > machine ready with a generic kernel, slap the board in and boot.

 except for the $100 problem. no have...

In that case I don't see any other option but to go and _carefully_
open the fscker. With a flashlight and good eyesight you will find
whatever info the manufacturer printed on the board. Hopefully there
will be enough to google on (don't hold your breath, though).

Generally speaking you're SOL. You have a mission-critical server that
1) has no documentation, 2) uses obsolete hardware, 3) has to be up 24/7,
and on top of all that you have no backup machine and no money to buy one.

I've always had good luck with http://www.motherboards.org when tracking down info on mystery hardware. OK. So they call their search engines MOBOT and MoboCop, etc, etc. It still allows you to do some decent searches with stats and jumper settings.

The surest way is with the BIOS string. But, you've already said a reboot is out...

Good luck.

John
"All warfare is based on deception."
	--Sun Tzu