Re: [users] Re: motherboard info

also sprach Dimitri Maziuk (on Wed, 16 May 2001 06:56:47PM -0500):
> In that case I don't see any other option but to go and _carefully_
> open the fscker. With a flashlight and good eyesight you will find
> whatever info the manufacturer printed on the board. Hopefully there
> will be enough to google on (don't hold your breath, though).

weeeeeh. i can't but look forward to that then...

> Generally speaking you're SOL. You have a mission-critical server that
> 1) has no documentation, 2) uses obsolete hardware, 3) has to be up 24/7,
> and on top of all that you have no backup machine and no money to buy one.

well, (1) is definitely true since that machine was resurrected out of
parts and wasn't supposed to become a server. but now it's our main
cvs repository and mail server. yes, i know it's fscked, but it works.
(2) well, obsolete whatever. point: it works. i don't really care
about the 1.7 load nor do my users, but i got this spare baby lying
around and i figure i might just as well. (3) it's not really mission
critical. we aren't important people at all. so as i said: if on
saturday it screws up or someone walks in with a case of beer, the
system will be down until monday and noone will really care - *but* i
am not shooting for that.

"Even if you persuade me, you won't persuade me."
                                                       -- aristophanes