Re: X question

Personally this sounds like the best option.  Duh, why didn't I think of that?
:-)

I do have another thought on this subject.

The fundamental issue with the solutions is that they require you to pause and
think about strategy, because each app has a different key to press or dialog to
invoke.

I'd love to see the use of a "meta-mode" (see Jeff Raskin's "Humane
Interfaces").  For example holding the Shift key could tell X to not copy the
selection.  If so, the following sequence would work almost everywhere:

1) Select the URL you would like to jump to.  It gets copied.
2) Press the Shift key while selecting the URL in the location bar (double-click
or click/drag).  Shift prevents it from replacing the clipboard contents.
3) Press the Delete key.  Note that this is a single keystroke, as opposed to
possibly 50 backspaces if you have to avoid using a selection.
3) Press the middle mouse button to paste the new URL.

Just a thought, but it sounds like an improvement to me.

In any case all of you have given me a some better tools to work with.

Thanks!
Steve