Re: Browser preferences/options (was Re: Strong encryption for mozilla (woody))

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [010507 19:22]:

> > If you're a gnome user, why not try galeon ?? It's site is here:
> > http://galeon.sourceforge.net/. I've used it in the past and it's
> > quite nice...
>
> A GNOME environment is not required for galeon, though some gnome libs
> are.  I've had more than one exchange with the developer team over this
> issue.  Gratuitous and deep dependencies are a Bad Thing?.

My main point was that if you don't routinely use gnome, you may need to
download and install "x" number of additional packages just to get
galeon to work. That may not appeal to some people. Same with KDE
users... why add gnome libs into the mix if you don't have to ??

> I've got Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon, and Skipstone installed on the
> desktop, Mozilla and Konqueror on the laptop (dependencies don't allow
> installing Galeon and Skipstone).  Galeon and Skipstone are both based
> on Gecko, the Mozilla HTML renderer.

Skipstone was the other one I was thinking of actually, but couldn't
find it (nor remember it's name). With the improvements in mozilla as of
very recently, I will likely be trying galeon and skipstone again soon.

> Konqueror is something I try occasionally.  It's a nice basic system
> though it's not in my frequent habits list...

I just tried Konqueror over the weekend. I tried Mandrake v8.0 and also
the KDE environment for the first time. One thing I must say is that KDE
is *nice*. ;-) Konqueror, on the other hand, did not impress me at all.

> I've documented my experiences with several browsers at:
>
> Biggest browser beefs:
>
>     - Stability.  Quit with the fucking crashing already.  Don't lose my
>       stuff (this includes state).  ***STABILITY IS NOT OPTIONAL***
>
>     - Speed.  Render.  Quickly.  Load.  Quickly.  Stop.  Quickly.  Ties
>       strongly to lightweight code as well.
>
>     - Standards compliant.  Support standards.  Don't promote
>       proprietarysms..
>
>     - Dependencies.  Codependency sucks.
>
>     - Bloat.  A browser.  Not a fucking kitchen sink, thank you very
>       much.
>
>     - Privacy.  Allow me to control cookies, Java, Javascript.  Support
>       SSL.  Default mode should maximise privacy.  Don't do shit behind
>       my back.
>
>     - Security.  Strong overlap with above.
>
>     - Plugins.  Suck.  Third party apps should launch as same.  They
>       should *NOT* launch within my browser.  Flash sucks.  Period.
>
>     - Unobtrusive.  Stay out of my face.  Do what I say.
>
>     - Configurability.  Allow my to configure:  fonts, scaling steps,
>       colors, animation handling (none), proxies, cookie/java/javascript
>       handling (none, by default), preferred mail/news/telnet/ftp apps.

I'd again suggest Opera... I'm very impressed with it. There are debian
packages for it available (directly) from Operasoftware and they only
require libqt2. I'm no expert, but it meets many of the above items.

I'm no zealot regarding the "free" issue myself. Netscape isn't free
either, in many people's definition...

> > I also found "gzilla", http://www.gzilla.com/, at the gnome website.
>
> gzilla is very not-prime-time.

Sorry 'bout that one ;-) I went to gnome's site looking for galeon's
website and the name of that other browser (skipstone) and saw gzilla
mentioned.

Regards
Hall