Re: Browser preferences/options (was Re: Strong encryption for mozilla (woody))

on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:16:19PM -0500, Rich Puhek (rpuhek@etnsystems.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> >
> > Biggest browser beefs:
> >
> >     - Stability.  Quit with the fucking crashing already.  Don't lose my
> >       stuff (this includes state).  ***STABILITY IS NOT OPTIONAL***
> >
> >     - Speed.  Render.  Quickly.  Load.  Quickly.  Stop.  Quickly.  Ties
> >       strongly to lightweight code as well.
> >
> >     - Standards compliant.  Support standards.  Don't promote
> >       proprietarysms..
> >
> >     - Dependencies.  Codependency sucks.
> >
> >     - Bloat.  A browser.  Not a fucking kitchen sink, thank you very
> >       much.
> >
> >     - Privacy.  Allow me to control cookies, Java, Javascript.  Support
> >       SSL.  Default mode should maximise privacy.  Don't do shit behind
> >       my back.
> >
> >     - Security.  Strong overlap with above.
> >
> >     - Plugins.  Suck.  Third party apps should launch as same.  They
> >       should *NOT* launch within my browser.  Flash sucks.  Period.
> >
> >     - Unobtrusive.  Stay out of my face.  Do what I say.
> >
> >     - Configurability.  Allow my to configure:  fonts, scaling steps,
> >       colors, animation handling (none), proxies, cookie/java/javascript
> >       handling (none, by default), preferred mail/news/telnet/ftp apps.
> >
> <SNIP>

> Whew! I thought I was the only one who had a hard time understanding
> why a web browser, really a HTML --that's Hyper TEXT Markup Language,
> yes kids, that means a way to make boring old text look kinda snazzy--
> decides to consume well over 10MB just to get off the ground! More of
> us need to scream about the above to Netscape et al.
>
> To your list I'd add:
>
>   - Cache. It should work properly... if I've got a few MB set aside
>     on my HD, why redownload an entire page just 'cause I resized my
>     window?

First:  no.  Caching and browsing are separate tasks.  Caching is much
better handled at your local gateway than within each application.  I
park Squid on my masqueradinging firewall proxy, and access the same
cache from various user IDs on various boxen.  Cache performance
*increases* under load, it's better to share than not.  And caching is
easy to get wrong -- the built-in caching of most browsers sucks.

Second:  modern browswers (mozilla, galeon, skipstone, konqueror, w3m,
and even IE) don't do a reload on resize.  Most of these work pretty
damned transparently.  Though I'm finding M18-3 fscks up on font
resizing, which is a pain.   There should be a redraw/re-render that's
independent of reload.  Early Netscape had this.

>   - Configurability/Privacy: Let's figure out a cleaner way to say I
>     want to save cookies for /. or similar sites and not for every
>     other site under the sun.
>
>   - Cookies: Let me know if A site is offering cookies (if I so
>     chose), but don't stop the whole show with a damn dialog box a
>     million times just because the frickin site wants to give me the
>     equivilent of a big bag of Double-Stuff(tm)
>
>   - Banners. I hate when a simple little web page that should take 5
>     seconds to load over a modem connection takes over a minute on a
>     T1...  just cause
>     ads1.joesannoyingdiscountbanneradshere.com/cgi-bin/ads1234/crappyscript.cgi?makelotsofmoney=123456789oopsbadform
>     doesn't happen to be responding at the moment.

Most of this can be addressed through a proxy such as Junkbuster.  Where
exactly to set this information is a bit difficult.  Sharing filters
across multiple users can be problematic when needs don't coincide.
Setting the same data for multiple applications for a single user is a
pain.  I'd prefer to see a server which respected user-specific (and
possibly site-specific) rulesets.

> Gotta agree most with Stability and Standards. A single page of "bad"
> HTML shouldn't sink all of H.M.S Netscape. That and "bad" HTML really
> shouldn't exist. Yes, I was about to argue that that's really the
> designer's fault, but browser-specific tags is what got us into this
> mess.

I'd also like to see a little less of "lets jump all over the latest
plugin" bandwagon crap.  The only truly useful Flash and Java stuff I've
seen would have been better served in a freestanding VM.  "Active
content" in a single page is generally far more harm than good.