Re: backup strategies

hi jeroen

backups...
i prefer find and tar

  eg...
	find /root /etc /home -mtime -$Days -type f -print  |
	egrep -v "$EXCLUDE_this_stuff" |
	tar zcvf /Backup.Sunday/$HOST/$Year_$Mon/$Date_$Days.tgz -T -

use find to find files that has changed "today"
or last 7 days or last 30 days...

incremental backups should always start from the last
full backup....
	- if one day of incremental backup fails...
	all subsequent backups might not be any good..

i do backups only onto hard drives - 20gb - 500Gb of backup space
depending on the client
	- tapes are too slow and too small
	- tapes require somebody to do something on a daily/weekly basis
	- cdrom/dvd is too small

daily, weekly, monthly incremental and full backups
of a 20Gb disk can usually be backed up to another 20Gb disk for
about 2-3 months .. than youhave to start purging...
( depends on data ...
	-  3 entries in cron  for incremental/full backups

- incremental backups should be on alternating different backup disks
	- remove ONE backup disk/server and see if you can still restore
	- plenty of unused disk space floating around on most lans

watch out for what if your backup failed due to multiple reasons...
	- failed due to cron died
	- failed due to 100% disk full
	- failed due to network cable wiggled
	- failed due to power failure
	- failed due to flaky hardware ( cpu, mem, disk )
	-
	- you willfind that backup failed only when you needed
	- unless you test/check it regularly...

- methodology has been tested...may times over the years..
  when the primary disks failed... esp raid failures

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Consulting.com