Re: pcmcia startup order: was Re: /etc/network/interfaces

The Nose Who Knows wrote:

> Eric Richardson wrote:
> > More than one person is having problems with the startup sequence with
> > pcmcia. Is this a problem with the distribution? I searched open and
> > closed bugs for brian@debian.org and could not find anything reported
> > about this.
> >
> > Is this a problem that needs to be looked at for the distribution? It
> > sure makes the out of box experience with Debian a little rough.
>
> I've recently started using two laptops (one belongs to work, one is
> mine) with Debian "testing"; I can confirm that the pcmcia start order
> is a problem on both.
>
> I haven't been able to properly diagnose it, but the start-up messages
> show things happening in apparently the correct order: pcmcia services
> start successfully, interface configuration occurs, then networking is
> enabled.
>
> However, on logging into the system, eth0 has become unconfigured again
> -- although the card itself is still happily running.  I inevitably have
> to do "ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0"  after logging in, every time I boot.
> After doing this, it all works beautifully.

I took a look and it seems that
/etc/init.d/networking gets called before /etc/init.d/pcmcia.

/etc/rcS.d.
S35mountall.sh
S39dns-clean
S40hostname.sh
S40networking
S40pump

In /etc/rc0.d
S35networking

In /etc/rc1.d
S20single

In /etc/rc2.d
S11pcmcia
S14ppp
S20inetd
S50netatalk

Netatalk fails for me but pump must keep working as eventually eth0
comes up
but usually after the boot is complete and I have GDM running. I'd like
to see this fixed. I can hack the startup file order but it seems that
most laptops use cardbus networking and the pcmcia should start before
networking.

I don't know if this is helpful. I also posted on debian-laptop but
nobody has responded. They said the package maintainer is Dave Hinds.

Eric