pcmcia startup order: was Re: /etc/network/interfaces

Eric Richardson wrote:
> More than one person is having problems with the startup sequence with
> pcmcia. Is this a problem with the distribution? I searched open and
> closed bugs for brian@debian.org and could not find anything reported
> about this.
>
> Is this a problem that needs to be looked at for the distribution? It
> sure makes the out of box experience with Debian a little rough.

I've recently started using two laptops (one belongs to work, one is
mine) with Debian "testing"; I can confirm that the pcmcia start order
is a problem on both.

I haven't been able to properly diagnose it, but the start-up messages
show things happening in apparently the correct order: pcmcia services
start successfully, interface configuration occurs, then networking is
enabled.

However, on logging into the system, eth0 has become unconfigured again
-- although the card itself is still happily running.  I inevitably have
to do "ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0"  after logging in, every time I boot.
After doing this, it all works beautifully.

Help would be much appreciated.

--
 \
  `\