Re: RAM economy tips

It sounds as though you do indeed have a memory leak somewhere rather than
just a misunderstanding of the memory statistic numbers. However, I'm
quite certain that the problem has nothing to do with the kernel, but
rather a leak in one of the apps you are running. If you say that even
after shutting down all the apps you are still thrashing, then I would
suspect the problem is probably with KDE or one of the libraries it uses
or something with X. Also, occassionally when closing an app that has a
problem, even though the window disappears, sometimes the program
continues running and using your memory. Use top to check this. Rebooting
should not be necessary. See if restarting X solves the memory problem.

Gerry