Re: RAM economy tips

> > out of memory you should take it with a pinch of salt (and
> > maybe wonder why the other 10% isn't made to do something
> > useful too)
>
> In theory, this is fine. But on my system (512 MB RAM) it's not always
like
> that. After a few hours of work with a lot of opening apps and documents
and
> images, it dips into swap, and it does that even when I close most apps.
So
> before I can continue working I have to reboot. This shouldn't be
necessary.

No it shouldn't thats bad, but I think its an app or window manager thing..
rather than linux itself.. its not happening here on a 256MB machine.. after
a whole day of work (definitions of work may vary ;)

(I use 2.2.19 kernel now as it is a suggested security upgrade IIRC, but the
system was stable under 2.2.18pre21 a few weeks ago to)..

I don't use kde I use a custom hack of blackbox as a window manager.. and
never run netscape.. That seemed to be the trick this end..

ps sorry for personal reply, meant to post to the list but forgot to check
the addr.