Re: crash?

	Subject: Re: crash?
	Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:21:34AM -0500

Quoting robhr@core.com(robhr@core.com):

> What are these "magic sysrq" key combinations and where could I read
> up on them?  I thought I knew atleast some of them, but without
> knowing the kind of combinations you're talking about I can't be sure.
> They could help out on the few times I have issues I can't recover
> from and actually have to reboot.

1. grep -i magic /usr/src/linux/.config
  CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y

2. less /usr/src/linux/Doc*/Configure.help
2a. search for it
 /CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ

CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ
  If you say Y here, you will have some control over the system even
  if the system crashes for example during kernel debugging (e.g., you
  will be able to flush the buffer cache to disk, reboot the system
  immediately or dump some status information). This is accomplished
  by pressing various keys while holding SysRq (Alt+PrintScreen). It
  also works on a serial console (on PC hardware at least), if you
  send a BREAK and then within 5 seconds a command keypress. The
  keys are documented in Documentation/sysrq.txt. Don't say Y unless
  you really know what this hack does.

3. read about it
  less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Rather then RTFM, I thought a fishing lesson might be more productive today.
--
Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured programming
is for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet-trained.  They