Documentation for total beginners

I have a few prospects that I'm trying to talk into doing Linux, Debian
in particular.  The problem is they have very little experience except
using  MS Windows for internet and games. I've written some very basic
instructions for them just so they can at least log on and navigate
through the directories.  Much of my own experience comes from trial and
error.

I haven't seen any documentation that is suitable for anyone with their
limited experience, nothing on internet, not in bookstores, and not in
boxed sets.    Everything seems to be geared towards people who,
colloquially speaking,  at least know how to multiply large numbers,
whereas my proteges and I are just learning how to add single numbers.

Does anyone know of any documentation that doesn't require extensive
experience to comprehend?
I don't consider myself to be an expert so I could benefit from that
kind of documentation too.

Should I tell my friends to forget Linux for now and come back after
they have experience with other operating systems because otherwise, you
can't get there from here?