(partly solved)Re: help! can't start X anymore

Thanks to everybody who replied, I got X working :)
I just didn't upgrade all the XFree86 packages - that was kinda stupid, oh well...

My desktop is 'working' now - but it's totally messed up!
When it starts I get this message:

"You are not running a GNOME Compilant Window Manager. GNOME support by the winodw manager is strongly
recommended for proper Desk Guide operation."

I did an apt-get install sawmill-gnome - but I still get this!
There are also no buttons ontop of every window to maximize, close or minimize it.
I was using sawmill before I tried to upgrade some packages in order to get Gimp 1.2 running. And now I'm here
having a totally messed up desktop.

Any ideas? - any help appreciated!

TIA
Philipp