Re: help! can't start X anymore

On 16 Apr 2001, Philipp Bliedung wrote:
> I don't have a file named X in /etc/X11. I believe that's what it's complainig
> about when I do startx. There is a file named X in /usr/bin/X11 but when I do ./X
> then I get the same error messages as startx would give me.
> I don't have a file named XFree86 in /usr/bin/X11/
>
> Besides there another thing - I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but
> it might. When I tried to get the packages from woody I wrote that into my
> /etc/apt/sources.list:

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org unstable/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security unstable/updates main
> when I did apt-get update it got me this:
>
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org
> unstable/updates/main Packages'
> (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_unstable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org
> unstable/updates/contrib Packages'
> (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_unstable_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org
> unstable/updates/non-free Packages'
> (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_unstable_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org
> unstable/updates/main Packages'
> (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_unstable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> I still downloaded the packages!  I'm not sure if I need packages from these
> sites, since I didn't couldn't access them. What did I wrong in my
> /etc/sources.list ? It did work for potato.
> Is this maybe the mistake that I made -  that I need any packages from these
> sites ??
>
> TIA
> Philipp
> Kent West wrote:

I had a similar problem yesterday; something went wrong in Woody I
presume. I ended up having to go to the XFree86 directory in Sid (i.e.
pool) to download the relevant packages and reinstall, after which X was
working again.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Gnu/Debian Linux (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Le style est l'homme meme. (Style is the man himself.)
                                              [Buffon]