Re: help! can't start X anymore

Philipp Bliedung wrote:

Hi

I have a problem. I'm on a potato machine with xfree 4.0.2 installed.
Everything was working fine until I installed Gimp 1.2 from woody.
I added the woody tree to /etc/apt/sources.list and did an apt-get
install gimp1.2 gimp1.2-perl and installed a whole bunch of packages.
Well, that did work out fine too! And Gimp 1.2 is running just fine
until I did a restart on my machine.
I can't start X anymore. When I do startx I get this:

$startx
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
xinit: unexpected signel 2
$

What am I missing or what am I doing wrong here?
When I do  XF86Setup it gives just a grey screen. That's it.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Philipp

I believe this is a bug in one of the packages. /etc/X11/X should be a link, like so:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Dec 10 17:19 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

Create the link with
ln -s /usr/bin/X11/XFree86 /etc/X11/X
and you should be in business. This assumes that you're using the XFree86 server.

Kent