RE: help! can't start X anymore

You didn't install from Woody... you installed from Sid (Woody is 'testing',
not 'unstable').  This probably means you just inherited XFree 4.0.2 and
attendant programs, along with the problems that go with them.  The GIMP in
unstable is dependent on XF402, along with the new libc6, I think.  Your
Potato system must be in an interesting condition at the moment. ^_^

You can try installing 'task-x-window-system' to get everything that goes
with an XF402 install, if that's actually what happened.  Take a look and
see.

-----
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net