Re: sound ?

Nate Amsden wrote:

> "V.Suresh" wrote:
> >
> > After a long struggle for a month, I finally managed to get X up
> > under Debian. I have a i810 m/b. Now a problem: Sound isn't working.
> > mpg123, gmp3 say mixer can't be opened. But 'lsmod' shows all required
> > modules neatly loaded. Help please.
>
> try it as root to be sure there isn't a permissions problem. other then
> that what kind of soundcard? ive used i810-based systems before(dell GX110)
> and they had ES1370/ES1371 soundcards ...
> and what modules are loaded?
>
> and can you copy/paste what the kernel says about your soundcard when
> the modules load?

I had the same problem .. I think at least ..;-)  and it was a permission
problem. Here comes what I had to do to make it work:

1. Set the group of the mixer devices to "audio" (chown root.audio /dev/mixer*)
2. Make sure that your user Id is a member of group "audio" (adduser <your
user-id> audio)
3. Make your mixer devices write enabled for groups ( chmod g+w /dev/mixer*)

This allowed me then to run Gnome  "gmix" as a normal user.

Hope this helps