Re: Email permissions - was Email embarrasment

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:24:35AM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 11:55:52AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> > The netscape message was missing from hs' mailq.  Why?
>
> This is almost normal, I think:
> So my guess from what you've said is that netscape is either being run
> as root or is using some setuid program somewhere to feed its mail
> into exim's queue (I seem to remember netscape having it's own program
> called "movemail"?)

Yes it is using movemail.  I did not realise that it is netscape's own
program.  Netscape was not used as root so I your second guess is
probably right.

> which is 02775 and looks right to me.  If a Debian package asked you
> to change the permissions on /var/mail, you should probably report
> that as a bug against the package.

OK.  I will remember in the future.

> It seems that your messages are getting onto your queue.  Are they
> still not getting delivered?  Try running exim -q -d as root and see
> what it tells you.

No, there is no problem with exim.  Once they get into the queue, the
delivery is fine.

Thanks for your help.

Johann.
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336.  Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536
     "And they questioned Him, saying "...Is it lawful for