Re: Email embarrasment (Solved - maybe)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 08:22:42PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 02:37:39PM -0500, Tim Kelley wrote:
>
> > Try telnetting directly to the smtp server on localhost and on the
> > ISP and try to send a message, this will help diagnose the problem.
> > If this works, then the problem is in your exim or MUA configuration

> > Then check the mail of the address you sent it to.
>
> Thanks Tim.  This helped me to discover that she could see the mail
> queue using mailq when she is root and not as normal user.  Adding her
> to the group mail seemed to fix the problem.

Hmm --- that's a bad solution, since users in group mail can read all
of the mailboxen in /var/mail.  If she's the only user on her laptop
(and thus has the only mailbox, no security issues) this might work
for you, but you should be aware that you probably haven't fixed the
real problem and it may bite you again later.

Rob

--
Seeing is believing.  You wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't believed it.