Re: Email embarrasment

>>>>> "Johann" == Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

I'm far from being an exim expert, but maybe we are able to clarify
things together...
    Johann> Sorry for the long message, but I do not know how to
    Johann> explain my problem much shorter.
That's OK.

[...]
    Johann> and now she uses Linux most of the time on her dual boot
    Johann> laptop. It is an dialup system using exim as mta.
 It's a dialup system without static IP

    Johann> Then the trouble started: She complained that
    Johann> kde's mail client did not send her messages and lost the
    Johann> messages (previously it worked without a problem).
What did you change? Did you check for frozen messages? exim -bp or
sth. like that, <man exim>.

    Johann> Some configurations (on both my computer [a desktop] and
    Johann> hers):

    Johann> Potato / Hail on both systems. Everything works on mine as
    Johann> it should (I did not try out kmail on mine as I do not
    Johann> have kde on mine).

    Johann> MTA exim.
Which option did you choose during eximconfig? smarthost?

    Johann> Xfmail|Misc|Conf Misc|Send: Send Method: Sendmail SMTP
    Johann> Host: 127.0.0.1 Port 25 Sendmail path: /usr/bin/sendmail
    Johann> Options -i DSN Options: -R hdrs -N failure.delay.success
    Johann> Send Properties: SMTP log

Xfmail (like kmail IIRC) has a smtp-client builtin. Try to feed it
with your ISP mailhost... (instead of localhost)

    Johann> Sending mail using "mail" or mutt work without a problem.
    Johann> I did not try out pine yet.
So, exim should be OK.

    Johann> Questions:

    Johann> 1.  Does anybody have a clue on what can cause a problem
    Johann> like this?  2.  Which stable, easy to use gui mail client
    Johann> would you recommend if the mail client is the problem? (I
    Johann> have even downloaded the latest version of mahogany (rpm)
    Johann> but it is dependend on libwx_gtk-2.2.so.6 and potato has
    Johann> only libwx_gtk-2.2.so.0.2.1 available.
You could try pronto or sylpheed, for example.

HTH,

MH
--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel