how to avoid the X windiws login?

Well everytime i make X windows work on my pc on a debian installation
the next login i'm forced to have a graphic login (on tty7)wich leads
me directly to a working windows system (even if at installation time
i told the system not to set xdm to give me the grph login), as you
can imagine i'm certainly not a linux guru and i cant menage to avoid
an x window session start and eat my memory and my processor time, can
you help me?
Where is the switch i have to press?

Well thanx for all in advance.

Michele

PS
I like the deb packaging system so much that i'd like to try to make
it work on a RedHat (please don't beat me) i have on a shared pc
(that's why it's a RH, it's not mine), do you know if i can do that?I
mean have apt and dkpg and dselect work on that system (rather than
convert my deb packages to rpm with alien)?