Re: how to avoid the X windiws login?

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001, Duser wrote:
> Well everytime i make X windows work on my pc on a debian installation
> the next login i'm forced to have a graphic login (on tty7)wich leads
> me directly to a working windows system (even if at installation time
> i told the system not to set xdm to give me the grph login), as you
> can imagine i'm certainly not a linux guru and i cant menage to avoid
> an x window session start and eat my memory and my processor time, can
> you help me?
> Where is the switch i have to press?

Hi Michele,

You want 'update-rc.d -f xdm remove' as root.  Add the '-n' flag to
test it.  See 'man update-rc.d' and the output below:

freedman@warthog:~$ /usr/sbin/update-rc.d
usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
       update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> defaults [NN | sNN kNN]
       update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl runlvl .  ...
                -n: not really
                -f: force

You might also want to familiarize yourself with 'update-alternatives'
which similarly manages /etc resources (but completely unrelated to
your present need to modify init.d scripts).

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

> Well thanx for all in advance.
>
> Michele
>
> PS
> I like the deb packaging system so much that i'd like to try to make
> it work on a RedHat (please don't beat me) i have on a shared pc
> (that's why it's a RH, it's not mine), do you know if i can do that?I
> mean have apt and dkpg and dselect work on that system (rather than
> convert my deb packages to rpm with alien)?

Sounds like a lot of work, good luck... :) Actually there's a
Brazilian (I think) distributor of linux who has worked on something
along these lines.  Can't remember it's name, maybe Concentric, or
something like that.  Searching this list's archives or google will
give you more info

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics