Re: how to avoid the X windiws login?

on Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 05:13:36PM +0200, Duser (duser@myrealbox.com) wrote:
> Well everytime i make X windows work on my pc on a debian installation
> the next login i'm forced to have a graphic login (on tty7)wich leads
> me directly to a working windows system (even if at installation time
> i told the system not to set xdm to give me the grph login), as you
> can imagine i'm certainly not a linux guru and i cant menage to avoid
> an x window session start and eat my memory and my processor time, can
> you help me?
>
> Where is the switch i have to press?

Take a look at

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html

> Well thanx for all in advance.
>
> Michele
>
> PS
> I like the deb packaging system so much that i'd like to try to make
> it work on a RedHat (please don't beat me) i have on a shared pc
> (that's why it's a RH, it's not mine), do you know if i can do that?I
> mean have apt and dkpg and dselect work on that system (rather than
> convert my deb packages to rpm with alien)?

You can interchange and convert packages with alien.  You can (probably)
even run two different packaging systems on the same box.  This is a bad
idea -- the idea is that a packaging system runs herd over the box.
Having two systems duking it out with each other is a pretty sure way to
get things fuxnored beyond belief.

No person can serve two masters.  No box can serve two packaging
systems.

Pick one and stick with it.

Cheers.