Re: setting up VNC server on Linux

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 01:16:32AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> I've never been able to figure out how to get the vncserver to act like
> a regular X server, serving both the local display and the remote
> display. Instead, I've only been able to get the regular X server to
> serve the local display, and then the vncserver runs alongside it on
> (usually) the next higher-numbered display, but you don't "see" anything
> locally; then you connect from the remote machine to the vnc's display
> number and see a fresh clean X display, but not the one you see when
> you're sitting in front of the local machine.

Yup, that's right.  The manpage says:

       vncserver  is  a wraper script for Xvnc, the free X server
       for Virtual Network Computing (VNC). It provides all capa-
       bilities of a standard X server, but does not connect to a
       display for itself. You need a vncviewer to view and  con-
       trol the applications that run on the server.

VNC's not for local use (although you can use it locally), and so it
doesn't concern itself with the nitty gritty of telling video cards
how to do things.

I tried for an embarassingly long time to do what you're describing
before I figured this out, so you can surrender now.

Rob

--
Last guys don't finish nice.
		-- Stanley Kelley, on the cult of victory at all costs