Re: how to avoid the X windiws login?

Duser wrote:

> Well everytime i make X windows work on my pc on a debian installation
> the next login i'm forced to have a graphic login (on tty7)wich leads
> me directly to a working windows system (even if at installation time
> i told the system not to set xdm to give me the grph login), as you
> can imagine i'm certainly not a linux guru and i cant menage to avoid
> an x window session start and eat my memory and my processor time, can
> you help me?

  others already told you what to do but here's some background info:

  as long as you don't actually use it it does not eat your cpu cycles
and its eventually swapped out to disk so unless you have very small
swap space you don't have to worry about having X started - it's not a
big deal, basically you should NOT be able to tell whether X was started
on not from system performance, try using top to see system load and
programs that are eating up cpu/memory.

  you probably already know you can use ctrl-alt-Fn (n is 1 thourgh 6 by
default) to switch to text consoles.

	erik