Re: newbiedoc, vim and latex

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:47:10PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
| On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:18:08PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:59:02PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
| > | i think vim is abominable, deplorable and inconsiderate. it uses
| > | modes for this, modes for that... and i wouldn't ever consider
| > | using anything else.
| >
| > Come to think of it, emacs has more modes that vim ;-).  (python-mode
| > c-mode this-mode that-mode)
|
| vim has those types of modes, too -- perl highlighting, C

Note the winking smiley.  I know the modes are of a different nature,
but use the same name.  I just thought it funny that a modeless editor
has so many modes.

| > | wanna write up a vim intro at sourceForge.net/projects/newbiedoc/?
| >
| > Can I write it in LaTeX?  I want to learn to use latex effectively.
|
| i think some of the folks a newbiedoc are using latex. i'm just
| myself now getting up on sgml, so latex is way beyond me! (maybe
| you can write a newbiedoc intro for latex soon?)

Tobias Oetiker is (at least appears to be ;-)) an expert.  He already
wrote the intro :

http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/

It is titled "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e, or LaTeX2e in
90 minutes".  (It appears that the time has changed in various
editions of the doc)  There is the LaTeX source and PS, PDF, and also
HTML versions available.

His doc is what I am using.  I also need to find a good up-to-date
reference that explains the details and quirks of some of the macros.

-D