Re: OT : RE: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:59:02PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
| On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:07:02PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > I think that an introduction that is easy for inexperienced people to
| > start with would be a good thing.  It should include references to
| > more detailed/advanced documentation and also mention the common
| > pitfalls or things to look out for.  Explaining in simplistic terms
| > the basic organziation of the system seems to be the part that is most
| > lacking.
|
| http://sourceForge.net/projects/newbiedoc/

I'll have to check this out.  Most of my spare time right now is spent
trying to get the network at home to work so the machines will share
stuff.  I have 2 Debian boxes (Duron 750 -- my workstation , 486 --
router for internet) and 2 Windoze boxes (PII 300 , Win98  ; 486 Win95
-- both my dad's, my brothers use for homework).

| > I wrote this story in hopes that someone would enjoy reading it and
| > get a good laugh at my initial perception of Unix (Solaris) and vi.  I
| > now consider (g)vim to be the most superior editor and use it for my
| > daily work (I have tried emacs, and emacs fans are welcome to it
| > <wink>).
|
| i think vim is abominable, deplorable and inconsiderate. it uses
| modes for this, modes for that... and i wouldn't ever consider
| using anything else.

Come to think of it, emacs has more modes that vim ;-).  (python-mode
c-mode this-mode that-mode)

| wanna write up a vim intro at sourceForge.net/projects/newbiedoc/?

I should.  I've tried to introduce some of my friends to vim (CS
students at school).  They didn't have any (real) editor experience,
and IMO CDE's notepad or Nedit don't really cut it for coding.  I've
just learned about ^N ^P and ctags over on Python-list.  Really cool.

Can I write it in LaTeX?  I want to learn to use latex effectively.
It will probably take me a while due to time constraints.  OTOH I will
be taking a trip soon and have lots of travel time I might be able to
put to good use.  If not, this summer when I am bored in class I
should try and be useful ;-).

-D