Re: OT : RE: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

http://sourceForge.net/projects/newbiedoc/

> I am in favor of creating a document that introduces the concept and
> organization of a Debian system with pointers to common situations and
> more advanced documentation.  I think sprinkling it with funny stories
> of our own blunders will help show newbies what can go wrong, how to
> solve it, and that they aren't the only ones to mess up.

we need you at newbiedoc. c'mon over!

> ATTN all newbies : feel free to post any questions to the list.  I
> actually enjoy helping (when I can), but don't be a whiner when the
> system can't read your mind -- instead post all information you think
> is relevant and be polite.  :-)

any questions at all. someone will know just a bit more than you
do, and be delighted that they can put that knowledge to work for
someone else. (keeps them from having to sweep up loose hairs, too.)

> My opinion was that Unix was ancient and Windows far exceeded it.
> Shows how much I knew ;-).

unix is ancient (not that there's anything wrong with that). at
least you got that part right.

> I wrote this story in hopes that someone would enjoy reading it and
> get a good laugh at my initial perception of Unix (Solaris) and vi.  I
> now consider (g)vim to be the most superior editor and use it for my
> daily work (I have tried emacs, and emacs fans are welcome to it
> <wink>).

i think vim is abominable, deplorable and inconsiderate. it uses
modes for this, modes for that... and i wouldn't ever consider
using anything else.

wanna write up a vim intro at sourceForge.net/projects/newbiedoc/?

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com