OT : RE: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

To really start a fire here ...

I personally think that this has to do with Debian more then with Linux
itself. Other linuxdistro's like RedHat, Mandrake, Corel are focusing on the
usability. Debian is more like a sysadmin tool. Maybe it simply lacks an
introduction wich is easy to find. Most of the documentation is readable
enough for the determined.

In the past i've posted on this issue myself but this list does not seem to
be the right one for such discussions. Maybe there exists, or the community
needs, such a list where people can talk about the very concept of the linux
distro. It must also be known that linux itself is a kernel together with
some standard tools, not a complete distribution. AFAIK there is no
'standard' on how to structure a distribution or how to make it
userfriendly.

In itself Linux is really not harder then any other unix oriented system out
there, it is just less mature. All the fuzz about linux is mostly due too
people not realising that this is no kiddy stuff. This is ther REAL thing,
not a customized OS like windows. I worked with both for some time now and
both have their merits. The biggest frustration is indeed that the Linux
community seems to lack a visionary who wants to make Linux WoRk on a
desktop and not just run on a desktop. Some company's are putting effort in
to this but they're not very eager to do so. Imagine the gigantic support
centers (and budgets) needed for this, they are just not ready for it. So
they are happy with the way it works now, as a server in enterprises or in
embedded systems and so on.

Greets,

Joris