Re: combo GUI/text mail client

Joseph Dane wrote:

Here's what I'd like to have: a mail client that I can access via a
nice, flashy GUI when I'm sitting at my desk, or via a simple
text-mode interface when I'm connecting remotely.

I do something similar to what you plan on: Mozilla mail for the desktop, and pine for remote access.

Rather that using an app that does GUI and tty, I use an IMAP4 server. Both clients keep the mail on the server, so I can access all my sent mail, read mail, archives, etc, from anywhere with SSH.

 * netscape and pine don't (can't?) share addressbooks, so they either
   get out of sync, or require more attention than one would like to
   offer them

Probably the ugliest point. You could over engineer it and use OpenLDAP to store address books - most modern mail clients can do lookups against LDAP. I'm not this brave/foolish, and I don't need to be. I have a small address book.