[Fwd: "Upgrading" to Progeny ?]

--- Begin Message ---
Hall Stevenson wrote:

On Tuesday 10 April 2001 14:27, Hall Stevenson wrote:

I'm currently running Debian "sid" or unstable and the idea
of upgrading (is it really upgrading ?? :-)) to Progeny has
crossed my mind. Is doing so feasible ?? Can apt-get
handle the differences in package version numbers, if there
are differences ??

I heard that Progeny is based on Woody, so this would be a
downgrade. And I recently read on this list that apt cannot
downgrade a whole distribution. (Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong.) Looks like you best start with fresh formmatted
harddrive to install Progeny. If you do it, please tell me and
perhaps the list what you think about it, when you're done.

If what you think is true, you (and others) will have to find out from
someone else. ;-) I'm not interested in downgrading, if that's what the
case would be. I was hoping that Progeny may have a somewhat "parallel"
branch to Debian's sid. Actually, I'm sure they do or do they only use
"stable" packages and do whatever modifications they do from those ??

I'll check around their website some more...

Thanks
Hall

I installed Progeny RC1 off cd and the install was pretty nice, IMHO. It was easy to use without being too "dumbed down" One thing I liked was that it asked me most of the config questions before installing the packages instead of forcing me to sit through the whole "byte compiling for emacs" deal all the packages seem to go through. There was one question though (about whether or not to create non-existant cvs repositories, I believe) that got asked twice (once during the actual unpacking process) which was annoying but may have been fixed in progeny final.

As to what it's based on, the sources.list file contains archive.progeny.com, along with stable, testing and unstable commented out. It advocates installing packages out of stable and says most packages out of testing should work but it warns agains installing packages out of unstable so my guess is that it's based on stable.

--- End Message ---