Re: URGENT! help w/ Linux@work

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 04:24:00PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> I just finished installing Debian 2.2r2 at work (boss gave me
> permission), but I don't know how to get the net working through a
> gateway.  We have a linux server (192.168.0.1).  I added it to the
> /etc/network/interfaces file (as the gateway), but when I try to apt-get
> w/ http (for dist-upgrade), it can't connect to any servers.  Lynx
> doesn't work either.  What else do I have to do?  Please help, as I'm
> trying to make Linux look as good as it is.

First off, ping the gateway, just to be sure that eth0 is able to
communicate with it.  I'm going to assume that this works.

Next, do a `route -n` like everyone else has said, and make sure that
there's a line that says

0.0.0.0         <gateway's IP>   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

I'm going to assume this is correct also.  (Even if it wasn't to start
with, I'm sure you've fixed it by now.)

Now the detail that I haven't seen mentioned yet:  If you can ping the
gateway and it's set up as your default route, but it still doesn't work,
then it's probably not just a gateway, it's also a firewall and it's
blocking traffic on port 80.  If this is the case, you'll have to find
out what port the HTTP proxy is listening on and tell your browser(s)
about it.  For apt, you can `export http_proxy=http://<host IP>:<host
port>/` or add

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://<host IP>:<host port>/";

to /etc/apt/apt.conf.  If the firewall is running squid as the proxy, then
it's probably on port 3128, but you should check with your admins anyhow,
just so they know in advance that you're going to be accessing the proxy.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+