Re: URGENT! help w/ Linux@work

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:25:09AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 04:24:00PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> > I just finished installing Debian 2.2r2 at work (boss gave me
> > permission), but I don't know how to get the net working through a
> > gateway.  We have a linux server (192.168.0.1).  I added it to the
> > /etc/network/interfaces file (as the gateway), but when I try to apt-get
> > w/ http (for dist-upgrade), it can't connect to any servers.  Lynx
> > doesn't work either.  What else do I have to do?  Please help, as I'm
> > trying to make Linux look as good as it is.
>
> First off, ping the gateway, just to be sure that eth0 is able to
> communicate with it.  I'm going to assume that this works.

If Cameron's situation is like mine (mine's at home, with a gateway 129.168.1.1)
he will not get a response from pinging the gateway. I also installed 2.2R2
and cannot get this to work, though my other computer Debian unstable has no
troubles.

> Next, do a `route -n` like everyone else has said, and make sure that
> there's a line that says
>
> 0.0.0.0         <gateway's IP>   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
>
> I'm going to assume this is correct also.

This is correct on mine, yet still not able to ping the gateway.

Cameron: Does this sound like your situation also?

--
Kevin C. Smith             There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
smithkevinc@nettaxi.com    by reading. The few who learn by observation. The