URGENT! help w/ Linux@work

Hey,

I just finished installing Debian 2.2r2 at work (boss gave me permission), but I don't know how to get the net working through a gateway. We have a linux server (192.168.0.1). I added it to the /etc/network/interfaces file (as the gateway), but when I try to apt-get w/ http (for dist-upgrade), it can't connect to any servers. Lynx doesn't work either. What else do I have to do? Please help, as I'm trying to make Linux look as good as it is.

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson

PS (please CC, I'm only subscribed to list @home)