Re: real player version 7

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 10:46:23AM -0400, AR wrote:
> > Bud Rogers wrote:

> > > I went through a similar version mismatch problem installing realplayer some
> > > time ago.  At the time the name of the binary file available from real.com
> > > and the filename expected by the installer were only different by one
> > > character.  I just renamed the downloaded file to match what the installer
> > > expected.  It installed without complaint and seems to work just fine.  YMMV,
> > > but it's worth a try.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
> > > All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.
> > >

> > Tried it, didn't work. Complains about not finding some directory.
>
> Yeah the installer is looking for a directory in the realplayer package
> that is different between version 7 and version 8.  I edited
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/realplayer* to change references from
> /usr/lib/RealPlayer7 to /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 and it worked.  Using the
> /version from unstable will also work and is easier.

This works but is quite a pain.
Procedure for stable(potato)- the rp7 archive can be downloaded but
doesn't work once installed(asks you to upgrade and then quits).

1. download rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs1_rpm from http://www.real.com
2. cp rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs1_rpm rp7_linux20_libc6_i386_b2_rpm
3. apt-get install realplayer
 Result: fails
4. vi  /var/lib/dpkg/info/realplayer.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/realplayer.prerm
 change RealPlayer7 to RealPlayer8
5. apt-get install realplayer
Result: works
6. try to run at command line via realplayer
Fails: maxwell:~/deb# realplayer
/usr/bin/X11/realplayer: /usr/lib/RealPlayer7/realplay: No such file or
directory
/usr/bin/X11/realplayer: exec: /usr/lib/RealPlayer7/realplay: cannot
execute: No such file or directory
7. vi /usr/bin/X11/realplayer
change RealPlayer7 to RealPlayer8
8. works from command line or Apps -> Viewers -> Real Player from GNOME.

Hope this helps,
Eric :-)