Re: Printer setup?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:40:02AM +0200, Andre Berger wrote:

> You also need Ghostscript ("apt-cache search gs"; prefer gs-aladdin,
> don't forget the fonts) for aps-/magicfilter and lpr/lprng/... CUPS, on
> the other hand, uses .ppd's (PS Printer Definitions, like drivers) and
> its own spooling mechanism.

debian ghostscript does not support epson printers.  its missing the
stp driver which seems to be the only way rumored to make the damn
things work.  personally i gave up on it and found a user apple
laserwriter, it has postscript support and is thus trivial to make
work.

> > I also have one more question, why does woody have such an old version of
> > openSSH in it?  Why isn't it closer to 2.5 (I know, it's not sid, which has
> > 2.5.2p2, but it's running the same version from potato).
>
> Don't know :)

either the ssh in sid has a new release critical bug, or it is not
synced on all archetectures, or it depends on something not in
testing, or the maintainer keeps uploading new versions/builds of it
so it never gets the mandatory 10 day aging process completed.  there
is an update-excuses page somewhere that gives vague clues as to why a
package fails the testing script.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/