Partition recommendations for dual boot installation???

I am planning to install Debian potatoe release on my
Dell 4100 pentium III with 60 GB HD. I have read
through several different versions of installation
instruction posted at various places on the web and
few things remain unclear to me.

Should I partition my disk immediately prior to
installation (using DOS fdisk for instance) or will
installation program partition HD for me?

How to partition exactly? I have a 6o GB HD (master)
and a 6 GB HD (slave) and want to install Debian and
Windows ME with either LILO or GRUB as boot loader. I
have seen suggested to make different partitions for
/mbr, /usr, /usr/local, /var, /home,
and /tmp. Plus I will need at least one or two for Windows.