Re: Partition recommendations for dual boot installation???

> How to partition exactly? I have a 6o GB HD (master)
> and a 6 GB HD (slave) and want to install Debian and
> Windows ME with either LILO or GRUB as boot loader. I
> have seen suggested to make different partitions for
> /mbr, /usr, /usr/local, /var, /home,
> and /tmp. Plus I will need at least one or two for Windows.

Take advice of this guy who is writting you right now and who in fact
havent partitioned properly:

bash-2.03$ df
/dev/hda1               705352     38264    631256   6% /
/dev/hda5              2015464   1506096    406984  79% /usr
/dev/hda6              1007936    386444    570288  40% /var
/dev/hda2              4053487   1914207   1929566  50% /home

As you see I left too much space for / which now is a waste (well I could
symlink but thats dirty and you dont want that).. that space would have
been much better in /usr

/var hasnt been too a very good choice.. in fact very bad, for a nntp
server or mail server it would be a good choice but for a workstation is
not..

So see that maybe you want to put as much room as possible into /usr

bash-2.03$ du -s /usr
1506096	/usr

bash-2.03$ du -s /usr/local
118096	/usr/local
bash-2.03$ du -s /usr/share
505684	/usr/share
bash-2.03$ du -s /usr/src
280356	/usr/src
bash-2.03$ du -s /usr/lib/
305924	/usr/lib

So... the best.. well now I will do the following:

let far less room for /
let far more room for /usr and /usr/local
less room for /var

And as ever the more room for /home the best..

Take your own conclusions.. since I am not goint to reinstall my whole
system.. I will survive untill I will get a brand new 40-80 Gbytes HD.

Hope this help ;)

Regards

Roberto

Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@vivaldi.dhis.org>