Re: Partition recommendations for dual boot installation???

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 11:06:09AM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:
> I am planning to install Debian potatoe release on my
> Dell 4100 pentium III with 60 GB HD. I have read
> through several different versions of installation
> instruction posted at various places on the web and
> few things remain unclear to me.
>
> Should I partition my disk immediately prior to
> installation (using DOS fdisk for instance) or will
> installation program partition HD for me?
>
> How to partition exactly? I have a 6o GB HD (master)
> and a 6 GB HD (slave) and want to install Debian and
> Windows ME with either LILO or GRUB as boot loader. I
> have seen suggested to make different partitions for
> /mbr, /usr, /usr/local, /var, /home,
> and /tmp. Plus I will need at least one or two for Windows.

If your installing Windows and Debian on the same disk.  Install Windows
first.  Create the partition for Windows and the partition you will use
later for Debian.  BTW, if you can, stay away from W.ME it is a piece of
royal crap.

When you go to install Debian the installation routine will give you the
chance to partition the drive.  This doesn't sound like this is going to
be a server or firewall so I wouldn't worry too much about your
partitioning scheme at first.  Create /  and a swap partition.  Later
you will have more understanding of partitions and the sizes you want.

Also sounds like you need to read the installation instructions at -
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#new-inst
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted