Re: Partition recommendations for dual boot installation???

on Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 11:06:09AM -0700, Abner Gershon (abner_gershon@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I am planning to install Debian potatoe release on my Dell 4100
> pentium III with 60 GB HD. I have read through several different
> versions of installation instruction posted at various places on the
> web and few things remain unclear to me.
>
> Should I partition my disk immediately prior to installation (using
> DOS fdisk for instance) or will installation program partition HD for
> me?

I prefer partitioning as a separate step prior to installation.

My understanding is also that you typically want to install Legacy MS
Windows prior to GNU/Linux.

> How to partition exactly? I have a 6o GB HD (master) and a 6 GB HD
> (slave) and want to install Debian and Windows ME with either LILO or
> GRUB as boot loader. I have seen suggested to make different
> partitions for /mbr, /usr, /usr/local, /var, /home, and /tmp. Plus I
> will need at least one or two for Windows.

Debian partition suggestions:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

You'll need to modify this scheme specifically to address your boot
requirements.