Re: Debian on a RAID How do I?

hi ya daniel

running root  on raid5 is tricky stuff...
	- i think is a bad idea... ( just silly me )
	-
	- if you lose your system... you also lose data...
	-
	- if data is on raid5... if the system dies...
	- you can still recover and continue with a new system disks
	- within minutes or within  the hour
	-
	- if you lose data...who knows how long it'd take to restore
	- the 100's Gb of data
	-
	- 3 disks at 80Gb is 240Gb of raw space... 160Gb of raid5

3 disks based raid5 is in-efficient...
	a 2 disk raid1 ( mirroring ) is 1/3 as expensive
	and does almost an identical function of maintaining
	data while only one disk dies in 3-disk raid5 or 2 disk mirror ??

running raid5 on just data is fun enough already...

for dpt-2100S... dpt is typically supported...
but which distro and which kernel might affect "it's supported"...
	- try it and see what happens

	- search google for "raid dtp 2100s" and
	 see what others had already done

- do lots of experiments before committing data that is not yet
  backed up elsewhere... even if raid5 is working....backup data
  to a different system in either case

- final "qa" test....
	- pull the power cord while the system is writing data to disks
	( well okay...pull the network cable... almost as good of a test )

have fun raiding
alvin
http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/Raid  -- collection of raid stuff